- Back in May, we released ‘Tales’, the first installment of our 2020 album Tales, Sagas & Legends. Sagas is to be released in August whilst the album will be out in its entirety this winter.
- The first single of the album, ‘For the Power’ was released in February
- The second single, ‘Rise Again’ is being released 31/07/2020
- We’ve got some 2021 shows confirmed!
- We’ve got the Hard Rock Hell fest in March – playing alongside the likes of Dream Evil!
- We have a second festival on the Isle of Wight soon to be announced!
How long has the band been together?
- We started off as a parody Harry Potter themed metal internet project in 2015 with just 2 members, but in 2018 we recruited a full line up and became a full Power Metal band (no longer singing about Harry Potter!).
What was your main motivation for starting or being in a band?
- I’ve (Andy) always been a huge Power Metal fan – it was always my dream to start a band, but I never really got round to it until I was at University and I found I had an abundance of free time. I used that time to write Power Metal, and eventually, I wrote a song that I thought was good enough to record.
What is your music background?
- I was taught music from a young age – I had singing lessons throughout my school years, with the focus being songs from musicals such as Les Mis & Miss Saigon. I taught myself guitar, but I was always more interested in writing melodies than learning how to shred.
What image do you think your music conveys?
- Even though we moved on from the Harry Potter parody, we still don’t like to be taken too seriously. Don’t get me wrong, we only record a track if we think it’s of the highest quality we can produce, but at the same time we like to have a laugh and I hope our music conveys that.
What are your immediate music career goals? (Next 1 to 3 years.)
- Support a Power Metal giant
- Tour the UK
- Have someone tattoo our logo on themselves
What are your long-term career goals?
- Touring Europe would be incredible
- Headline our own show (we’ve actually already done this, but we’d love to do it on a big stage!)
- Be recognized as a solid band by the Power Metal community worldwide!
Which do you prefer? Writing new songs and recording or playing for a live audience?
- Without a doubt, writing a new song – when you know you’re writing a solid track, you start to imagine how it’s going to sound, what harmonies you’ll add, how it’s going to look on stage… A recording is so much effort… It’s amazing, but absolutely knackering.
What are your songs about? (What specific themes do they cover?)
- Some of our early work is about the world of Harry Potter – Ron Weasley is referred to as ‘The Ginger Knight’ in a few tracks.
- MOST of our songs (including the entirety of the Dragons of the Ages album & this years’ album Tales, Sagas & Legends) are based in our fantasy world of Andria – the tracks are about epic battles, noble quests, fearsome pirates, and mighty Dragons!
Do you have any outrageous tour stories from the road? If so, please fill us in.
- We headlined a show in Camden in July 2019 – Andy got so drunk before the show that he ended up talking to the crowd rather than playing our songs. In the end, we couldn’t finish our set as we ran over the curfew, and Andy ended up swearing at the sound guy over the PA and got kicked out of the venue… Basically, Andy got kicked out of his own gig. He’s learned his lesson – beer AFTER the gig, not before!
What’s the strangest request that you’ve ever received from one of your fans?
- Not really a request, but we have some fans who have made a cartoon that featured Grimgotts – it was so cool! You could say it was strange, but we like it strange and we thought it was awesome.
Were your parents supportive of your aspirations to play in a rock band?
- My parents (Andy’s) love hearing my music! I’ve always been involved in bands and they’ve always encouraged me when it comes to music. I certainly wasn’t paying for my own music lessons and instruments when I was at school! I loved Iron Maiden growing up, meaning they knew that I was always going to try and make it in the metal scene.
What are your favorite tracks to play live?
- Last year we were opening with a track called ‘Ancient Waters’ – it’s really fast, epic and catchy. That’s probably my favorite. We also enjoy playing the title track from our debut album ‘Lions of the Sea’. It’s a slow track that speeds up for the outro – it’s really cool live.
Which band or artist inspired you to perform? Why?
- For me personally (Andy), Bruce Dickinson is the man – he’s just incredible. An amazing singer and the way in which he connects with the audience is unreal.
If you could design a dream tour for your band, who would be on the bill?
- I think we’d like to go along with some bands that have a similar mentality to us – we’ve played with the Australian Folk Metal band Lagerstein before. They were cool, but we didn’t have a lot of time to chat but I think they’d be a laugh on tour! I’ve met Sam Totman a few times, he’s really funny – playing with Dragonforce will be awesome. I guess then it would be Lagerstein & Dragonforce!
What do you consider your greatest accomplishment so far?
- Quite honestly, putting an actual band together from what was a joke project created by 2 mates is actually a huge accomplishment. Gringotts has a great fanbase, and we love making music and performing live – being able to do that is amazing.
If you weren’t performing in a band what kind of career do you think you would have?
- Well, I can tell you that as I’m also a Digital Marketing Manager!
What type of equipment do you use for live shows?
- As a singer, I just use whatever I’m given! I know Dave plays a 1995 custom Charvel guitar… The lads would be better at answering this question, but each would provide an essay on each of their respective instruments.
What do you think of the current music scene?
– I think it’s great! There have been some cool new bands from the UK recently which awesome. Growing up, there weren’t too many power metal shows we could go to. However, I lived in London in my early 20s and it was so easy to go watch a great band.
For anyone that doesn’t know you, what would they be surprised to know about you?
– I think for me (Andy), people might be surprised to learn that I also have a very normal career!
If someone had never heard you before, how would you describe your sound?
- I’d say ‘we play epic metal music with tongue in cheek lyrics – the vocals are over the top, the guitarist shreds, the bass player and drummer are both lightning-fast, and the orchestration is huge!’
Is there anything that you’d like to promote or say to your fans out there?
- To those who have supported us on our journey so far, THANK YOU! It means the world to us, and without you guys, we wouldn’t be able to make the music. To those who haven’t heard us, we hope you give us a listen and enjoy what you hear! Cheers
·Andy Barton – vocals
·David Hills – Guitars
·Fabio Garau – Keys
·Nelson Moreira – Bass
·Mo Abdelgadir – Drums
Connect With Grimgotts